Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hmm, Who's this in the picture?


When I went to Salt Lake City to report to the mission home, we had a few hours one afternoon to get things in order for the trip to the Language Training Center at Ricks College. I talked my companion into walking over to see if we could meet some General Authorities at the Church Office building. We walked up the 40 granite steps to the gothic 4 story building on South Temple and entered the revolving door to the lobby. It was nice but no one was there. There was a desk but the person must have been on a break. So we walked up the stairs to the second level where some lights were on. As we entered the hallway Elder LeGrand Richards, author of A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, boomed out “Hello Elders!” A bit timid we responded with Hello Elder Richards and I was about to explain why we were here when he took my hand and led us back to his office where he talked without stopping for several minutes. He told us of his mission to the Southern States mission and to Holland. He bore such a strong testimony and smiled warmly as he spoke. Finally he paused and said, looking directly at my tie “that tie is too loud.” Before I could respond he took my hand again and began to introduce us around. We entered brother Delbert Stapley’s office and he wasn’t there. We entered another room, that turned out to be the men’s room and we found Elder Stapley washing his hands and Elder Richards was not deterred and proceeded with the introductions. Then we went down the hall to President Spencer W. Kimball’s office still in the grasp of Brother Richards. President Kimball was from Arizona as well and we talked about Thatcher where my uncle lives and President Kimball said he knew Lyle Grant. Again with the hand, he lead us out to meet Thomas S. Monson, Alvin R. Dyre, and Bruce R McConkie. This was 6 of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Now this may have seemed to some like we were sight seeing but this was far more important to me. I was going to represent the Savior as a missionary. I wanted to be able to bear witness of the restored church and to meet 6 Apostles and feel their spirit was an answer to a simple prayer. Remember, just four years earlier I had not even seen a missionary leave from my branch. Now I had shaken hands with six apostles – special witnesses of Christ to all the world. I was grateful for the experience.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Hi Grandpa, this is Rainan. It's awesome that you got to meet the prophet. I wish I got to meet the prophet. Love ya!

tiffany knox said...

I know, what an awesome experience!

Our Family Slide Show